Monday, May 9, 2011

Scott Pilgrim.


Having never read the comics, I didn’t know what to expect from the movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.  The movie itself was a bit confusing and I felt like they left out a bunch of scenes.  For example, for the majority of the movie I was confused on who Gideon was and how he related to everything.  But it wasn’t the story that was captivating—it was the graphical elements.  Many scenes were set up just like in the comic book.  


When the movie first started I loved the 8-bit Universal logo with the retro video game music.  It was very memorable.  When the band played and the sounds appeared visually, I was drawn in.  I had never seen certain graphics incorporated in real life scenarios before, like the “vs.” graphic appearing between opponents before battle scenes.  It was really neat.  



I couldn't find an exact screenshot of when it said Bass Battle Fight, but this is right after it, and contains the "vs" graphic I mentioned above.  

I also thought it was very considerate of the first ex to send an email explaining the situation before the dual, although the song he sang was really dumb.  When Scott defeated him, the evil-ex burst into coins like in a video game...that was pretty funny.  





The only graphics I didn’t quite understand where the big foot and dragons when he defeated ex-boyfriends #5 and 6.  These graphics didn’t fit the style of the rest of the movie.  Maybe they are from a video game I am not familiar with. 



My favorite uses of graphical elements were when the camera scanned the room and “tag” boxes appeared describing different objects in the room and during fight scenes when the giant words would appear like in an actual comic book.  The first reminded me of the movie, Stranger Than Fiction, which I LOVE, and how it incorporates infographics into each scene.  The use of comic book style words reminded me of Sin City and the original Batman movies from the 60s. 

Stranger Than Fiction


Here's a super blurry screenshot from 1960s Batman. 


This scene is priceless! Watch for the graphical elements. My favorite part is when Catwoman throws the cat and Batman carries it around for the next couple minutes. haha  

Check out the youtube video here: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r94AJzJZZaU

If you haven't seen any of these movies, I would recommend them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment