Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wild.

I may or may not have mentioned before that I love hockey more than anything.  It is by far my favorite sport.  As a matter of fact I am watching the Flyers vs. Blackhawks game as I write this. 

And though I am a PREDS fan, I can’t help but notice significance in other team’s logos.  One that I find the most interesting is the Minnesota Wild’s bear head logo. 


This logo is filled with details you just might have missed.  The team colors are deep green, iron red, yellow/gold, and wheat. 

The logo pays tribute the wildlife within Minnesota as well as the spirit of the team.  It features evergreen trees within the bear’s profile.  These trees also represent the state tree: the Norway Pine. 

The bear’s mouth is styled to form a river with several twists, which also represents one of the state’s nicknames as the “Land of 10,000 Lakes.” 

The sun helps create the bear’s ear and to the side is the North Star, which creates the bear’s eye.  The star is very significant for multiple reasons. 
1.     The state is nicknamed “The North Star State”
2.     The French motto of Minnesota is “L’Etoile du Nord,” which translates to “The Star of the North”
3.     It also pays tribute to Minnesota’s past hockey team, the Minnesota Northstars, which were moved to Dallas after the team was bought.


The Minnesota Wild as we know it, was founded in 2000. 

Though like most teams, Minnesota has multiple logos, but this is by far my favorite. And since the official state sport is hockey, I would expect nothing less. 


All photos are from www.minnesotawild.com.

[[This post will also appear on my other blog page]]

No comments:

Post a Comment