Sunday, January 30, 2011

celts.

After last week's discussion I found myself really drawn to the Celtic/Gaelic illuminated manuscripts.  Then I thought about where I have seen or might see items with inspiration drawn from illuminated manuscripts, like the Book of Kells.    


My first thought was Celtic tattoos.  Many are inspired by symbols featured in many illuminated manuscripts.  Celtic design also features complex knot imagery as a basis for any design.  This knot work is symbol with no beginning or end and represents the never-ending cycle of death and rebirth.  I focused a lot on celtic zoomorphic graphics.  Zoomorphic basically means an animal is represented.  Here are a few examples from the Book of Kells.




Many people like this style tattoo because they feel like there is "a connection to an earlier culture that placed an emphasis on the natural world."  Here are some examples of the tattoos inspired by designs like the ones above.   





Then while researching I found a couple pages about tattoo artists that specialize in these manuscript inspired tattoos.  One even had a page about manuscripts and their relation to the modern tattoo.  Check out this page to read it: 

Other Random Notes::
Next I thought about the story book in the movie, Shrek.  Though the book is a little more simplistic, it is still inspired by these ancient manuscripts.  This book is also featured in the sequels.  


Later I randomly came across this picture which I thought was a clever modern interpretation of character on an illuminated manuscript, though this style is not the same as the ones we talked about.  The logo is for the Jamestown Jazz Choir and the school's mascot is the knight.  

Design by Lenore103

Lastly, this set of playing cards I came across awhile back feature characters in the style they would have been featured on an illuminated manuscript, though not necessarily a Celtic one.  I thought the colors had a similar feel to older manuscripts.  


Photos and Design by Natalia Nezhdanova on Behance.net
  


No comments:

Post a Comment