Friday, February 4, 2011

quilts.

The Beatus manuscripts weren't as overall detailed as the celtic ones, but they weren't interesting in their own ways.  The illustration style is much simpler with horizontal color blocking.  When I looked closely at the manuscripts I realized that most of them were narrative pieces that were more understandable than the previous ones we had looked at.  I kept thinking about the basic design of them with the narrative aspect and I thought they related to more modern art through painted quilts.




The blocky color patches and the order within sections reminded me of the Beatus manuscripts.  The repeating patterns are also a common feature in the older manuscripts.  I also like how the painted story quilts are divided into different sections that tell a complete story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment